Days: 1   | 2   | 3   | 4   | 5   | 6   | 7   | 8a   | 8b   | 9   | 10   | 11   | 12   | 13   | 14   | 15   | 16   | 17   | 18   | 19   | 20   | 21   | 22 & 23   | 24

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Bike Prep and What to Take

t

The Goldwing makes it pretty easy to swap out a tire since it lays so nicely on its side.  This morning after washing the bike and installing the bra, I removed the Bridgestone motorcycle tire and put on the rim with the Falken 912, a car tire.

I've been using car tires for the longer trips because it's great for traction, has a higher load capacity, and will last longer than a motorcycle tire.  They are also less expensive.

Jack asked me yesterday, "So what do you pack on a 30 day camping trip?" ... it usually ends up being whatever I can fit on my bike.  I'm not taking the trailer, and this time, I wanted to keep my back seat empty.  I managed to do it and get all this packed.

Camping Gear:
tent, sleeping bag, 2x thin fleece sleeping bags, twin size inflatable mattress (that's rouging it eh?), tarp, chair, hatchet, flashlight, shovel, telescoping fishing pole and small tackle box

Fire/Cooking Gear:
a small burner and 2 fuel canisters, cooking cup, a drinking cup, a nifty spork, a 5 gallon collapsible water container, small fire starter logs (ya brian!)

Riding Gear:
jacket with removable liner, rain gear (frog troggs), heated jacket liner with thermostat, warm gloves, summer gloves, a soak towell (to keep cool when its hot),

Bike Stuff:
bike cover, front mask (bra), cooler rack, tire gague

Misc:
netbook, clothes, sunscreen, bug repellent, duct tape, electrical tape, nylon rope, bungee chords, patch kit (for inflatable mattress), day/night glasses, camera, bunch of rags, towell, phone + charger, excedrine, playing cards

Dogs:
Maddisen brought over "Slush" for me to take on this trip.  I think it's a Husky with really big eyes.  Hopefully he's one of those dogs who likes a lot of wind because there will be a lot of it.

If Canada or Alaska have quarantine laws, I may have to smuggle him in a saddle bag till we're clear of the border towns.  Once through, I'll just have to try to keep him out of trouble.

Things I am not taking that I usually take on bike camping trips are a lantern and a cooler.  I figured since the sunset in Anchorage right now is around 11:30pm, that light won't be too much of a concern for the majority of the trip.  Then, if I start wishing I brought a cooler, I'll just pick one up on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment